Spouse sponsorship:

If you do, you should be able to:

    • Sponsor them.
    • Make sure they don't need social assistance from the government.

Sponsorship of children:

Children are accepted if they meet the following criteria:

    • They are under 22 years old.
    • They do not have a spouse or common-law partner.

Children of 22 years of age or older qualify as dependents if they meet both of the following conditions:

    • They are unable to finance themselves due to mental or physical conditions.
    • Have been dependent on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.

With the exception of age, your dependent child must meet these requirements until Immigration Canada finishes processing your application.

Important points regarding child sponsorship:

  • If you are a Canadian citizen, your child may also be a Canadian citizen, even if he was not born in Canada. This issue should be investigated.
  • If you are sponsoring only your child, without sponsoring your spouse or partner, name your child as the primary applicant on the application. You must show that the parent or other legal guardian agrees with your child's immigration to Canada.
  • If the child you want to sponsor has a child of their own (your grandchild), you include your grandchild as one of the dependents in the program.

Your spouse or partner and their child:

    • If you are supporting a spouse and a child (your spouse's child or a child you had together), name your spouse as the principal applicant and the child as a dependent on the application.
    • If the child you want to sponsor has a child of their own, you enter your grandchild as a dependent in the program.

Who is eligible to support their spouse, partner, or child?

You can sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent child if:

    • You are at least 18 years old.
    • You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada, you must show that you intend to live in Canada when you want to sponsor people to get permanent residency.
    • You cannot sponsor if you are a permanent resident living outside of Canada.
    • You must prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than disability.
    • You have the ability to meet the basic needs of any person you wish to support.